The United States has included China as a priority watch list that does not adequately protect intellectual property rights. It is also reported that the US is considering making concessions on the protection of biological agents in trade negotiations with China. The United States will release first-quarter GDP data today, and the growth rate is expected to accelerate to 2.3%, but it does not rule out an unexpected slowdown due to the impact of the government shutdown. Chinese President Xi Jinping will deliver a keynote speech at the Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation today.
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed at 26,462.08 points, decreased by 134.97 points or 0.51%. The Standard & Poor’s 500 Index closed at 2,926.17 points, decreased by 1.08 points or 0.04%. The Nasdaq index closed at 8,118.68 points, increased by 16.67 points or 0.21%.
- The United States has included China as a priority watch list that does not fully protect intellectual property rights. And China was appealed to urgently need to strengthen protection measures for intellectual property rights.
- The US will release first-quarter GDP data today, which is expected to accelerate from 2.2% in the previous quarter to 2.3%. Bloomberg economists warned that the growth rate may have unexpectedly slowed down, affected by the government shutdown in January.
- The UK’s FTSE 100 index closed at 7,434.13 points, decreased by 37.62 points or 0.50%. The Frankfurt DAX index closed at 12,282.60 points, decreased by 30.56 points or 0.25%. The French CAC40 index closed at 5,557.67 points, decreased by 18.39 points or 0.33%.
- Government officials said that Theresa May would have to accept Britain’s participation in the EU elections unless she could propose a Brexit bill to Parliament next week, it is unlikely that this will be done.
- The European Central Bank Vice President Guindos said that the European economy should not be too optimistic. If the central bank cannot complete tasks, quantitative easing can be used again.
- Japan’s Nikkei 225 index closed at 22,307.58 points, increased by 107.58 points or 0.48%. The yen closed at 111.830 against the US dollar, increased by 0.027%.
- Haruhiko Kuroda, the Bank of Japan Governor said that after the spring of 2020, the chances of maintaining ultra-low interest rates are still very high.
- The Shanghai Composite Index closed at 3,123.83 points, decreased by 77.79 points or 2.43%. The Shanghai and Shenzhen 300 Index closed at 3,941.82 points, decreased by 88.27 points or 2.19%. The RMB closed at 6.744 against 1 US dollar, decreased by 0.386%.
- Chinese President Xi Jinping will deliver a keynote speech at the Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation today.
- According to an informed source, China proposed to give US biologics a shorter data protection period than in the United States, and the Trump government may compromise this proposal, which may lead to opposition from the US pharmaceutical industry.