US technology companies continued to report good results, both Microsoft and Facebook quarterly revenues exceeded analyst estimates. The turbulent situations of Brexit are hard to break, and the Scottish government is trying to hold another referendum on independence. Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation will be held in Beijing today.
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed at 26,597.05 points, decreased by 59.34 points or 0.22%. The Standard & Poor’s 500 Index closed at 2,927.25 points, decreased by 6.43 points or 0.22%. The Nasdaq index closed at 8,102.02 points, decreased by 18.81 points or 0.23%.
- The performance of US technology companies continues to report good results. Microsoft’s quarterly revenues were $30.57 billion, exceeding the top analyst’s estimate. And Facebook’s quarterly revenue grew 26% to $15.1 billion, exceeding analysts’ estimates.
- US President Trump said that if Congress initiates impeachment, he will ask the US Supreme Court to intervene.
- The UK’s FTSE 100 index closed at 7,471.75 points, decreased by 51.32 points or 0.68%. The Frankfurt DAX index closed at 12,313.16 points, increased by 77.65 points or 0.63%. The French CAC40 index closed at 5,576.06 points, decreased by 15.63 points or 0.28%.
- The European Central Bank believed that although the escalation of trade tensions may have a serious impact on the global economy, the direct impact of US auto tariffs on the eurozone will be small.
- The Scottish government leader, a supporter of the independence, vowed to hold a referendum from the United Kingdom within two years in order to avoid the consequences of the Brexit.
- Japan’s Nikkei 225 index closed at 22,200.00 points, decreased by 59.74 points or 0.27%. The yen closed at 111.860 against 1 US dollar, increased by 0.009%.
- The Bank of Japan will announce interest rate decisions today, expected to keep the policy unchanged. Analysts generally expected that the inflation rate will still cannot reach the target of 2% in the next three years.
- The Shanghai Composite Index closed at 3,201.61 points, increased by 3.02 points or 0.09%. The Shanghai and Shenzhen 300 Index closed at 4,030.09 points, increased by 11.08 points or 0.28%. The RMB closed at 6.718 against 1 US dollar, increased by 0.019%.
- Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation will be held in Beijing today.
- According to Xinhua News Agency, Chinese Premier Li Keqiang said after meeting with IMF Managing Director Lagarde on Wednesday that China is still facing pressure on downward economy, will continue to reduce taxes and fees on a large scale to stimulate the vitality of hundreds of millions of market and withstand downward pressure.